Wednesday, November 18, 2009

End of the Quarter

When I started taking this class at the beginning of the quarter, I was worried about the course theme, "The Rhetoric of Desire in Popular Culture." I thought this was a confusing topic and would force me to wind up writing about something I had no interest in. This turned out to be the exact opposite. We were all given so much leeway choosing our topic that we could pretty much write about whatever we wanted. I was concerned at the beginning because I honestly didn't know what I should write about at all, but after the very first day, I hit on an idea that evolved into a broader theme that I've written quite a bit about by now. This was good because, not only was I able to develop a train of thought that I found to be very intriguing, but also the lack of constraints on my writing allowed me to experiment with different styles and improve my ability.

For any students taking this class in the future, I’d say the most important thing is to care. That is, don’t write because it’s part of an assignment, write because you have something to say. Don’t show up to class because attendance affects your grade, go to class because you don’t want to miss anything new. If you adopt a mindset where you feel that everything you do is worth doing well, you won’t have any problems with this class and will actually have a good time and look forward to going.

Other than that, be creative. As long as you keep the course theme in mind, you’re free to write about whatever you want. This is your chance to show yourself what you can do. Use the discussions and textbook to improve your skills and turn yourself into a better writer. Since most of the classes you’ll take in the future will require you to do some kind of writing, what you learn in this course will help you with the rest of your time in college. This isn’t just another class to pass and get credit for; it’s one of the building blocks for success, so an investment of hard work here will pay off until you graduate, regardless of your major.

2 comments:

  1. This topic really surprised me, too. When I fist heard it I thought "What the heck does that mean?" Yet, once Anne explained it I realized that there were so many topics I could choose. When I chose to write about the beauty myth I was so into it that sometimes I could write a whole page in 20 minutes. If I wouldn't have picked something I was interested in I would have been so miserable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your point about adopting "a mindset where you feel that everything you do is worth doing well" -- my mom always says something like that. She has always told me to take pride in my work, and one day I figured out that that meant doing something similar to what you said: realizing that if I was going to do something, I might as well do it well. :) I've appreciated your positive attitude all quarter, and I'm thrilled to see that it's something you're consciously maintaining. :)

    ReplyDelete